Sunday, June 13, 2004

End of the Race

I have reached the last legs of my exam marathon... and i have nothing but guilt and obligation to keep me going till monday.

Suddenly there seems to be a massive exodus of students liberated from libraries and exam halls, sitting out on the piazza, basking in the sunshine. How is that fair?!

I tried to resist temptation but it is a force i can't reckon with. Watched the Euro Cup matches today, Portugal's performance was disappointing and there were annoying bunch of Greek blokes at the bar who kept ranting and raving every 5 seconds of the game - they even had a horn which they kept blasting despite the fact that our airport bar has an extremely low ceiling. After indulging in a fair share of today's sunshine, i reluctantly trudged back to the library - but it was a vain attempt. I just sat there in the lonely aisles dreaming about monday, my liberation, the intoxication, and the partying that is to come.
I can't believe most of my coursemates and friends have finished their exams before me and they get three extra days to party before I do. Sigh.

On a slightly happier note, European Theatre (the module i'm sitting an exam on monday for) is not that hard a subject to get round. One day before my exam and i'm still deciding if I should study Ibsen's Hedda Gabler, A Doll's House with Strinberg's Miss Julie of if i should do Hedda with Sophocles's Antigone . Then there's the case of Beckett's Endgame or Waiting for Godot with Sarah Kane's Phaedra's Love or 4.48 Psychosis . Kane's stuff intrigue me the most, not so much its brilliance (it's hard to judge brilliance of a play against centuries of sophisticated literature) but because of its ability to shock. I'm not surprised she caused much discomfort to quaint British society (if you must know, her plays involve staging the castration of male genitilia and in-your-face sex) but I have my reservations if her plays were good because they were really good or are they just shocking for the sake of shocking. it borders on being absolutely disgustingly refreshing and uncomfortable distastefulness. But as she says, I hate the idea of theatre being just an evening pastime. It should be emotionally and intellectually demanding.

Oh well, guess what. This is my evening pastime for today - and definitely not by choice. And it is emotionally and intellectually challenging me when all I want to do is to just sit, chill, and not actually have to use my brain cells for once without feeling guilty.

31 hours more to go till total liberation...


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home