Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Excuse me, you too?

I had a meeting today. In fact, a few meetings.

After starting to get discouraged about several non-calls and non-leads, I had a buzzing afternoon getting emails and replies and interviews and events.

Winter has properly started - everytime the clocks go back, it's like the anti-clockwise mechanics of father time unscrews the mighty tap and rain, oh bleak london rain, pelts down mercilessly, relentlessly on its pitiful subjects scrawling beneath in a scurry for shelter.

I wonder how much you'll suffer for your job, your passion, your dreams.

Walking into the depths of south-east london in search of an obscure primary school in poorly-lit deserted pavements. You don't encounter a soul. Until..oh. there's someone in the distance. But he's deeply diguised and you can't see his face and for a split second, you're torn between being happy at spotting a kindred soul and deeply scared that you might lose your life. or your face. or your money. or your sanity.

The meeting is alright. Got the story.

Now, the walk back to the dingy railway station.

Again, london rain, dirty london rain, envelopes surroundings like a dark blanket.

Did I mention the wind? Or the cold?

We reach a 'consolation area'. Train back home. The mucky floors of mud.

As I hurry back, a man approches. I subtly, quietly step to the side, having learnt the skill of the artful dodger in a city where no one ever touches. He walks directly in my path as if approaching me. He looks rude... and I think for a minute, I might get stabbed anytime now.

But I don't.

What a difference a second makes. Not merely a day.

I am baffled by the place. in which we carry out our work.

Sometimes it makes all the difference, sometimes it doesn't.

But at least you learn something, and you remember it.

Oh, I am tired.


2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous saw the light...

SE London is really dodgy isn't it? Ugh, you better bring a whistle or something like that with you in future.

And I know exactly what you're talking about: the bleak weather here really gets you down, and there's still the biting cold.. ah! At least we're here together okay? We can always go for warm meals at Chinatown!

xxx

2:55 pm  
Blogger the.sole.author. saw the light...

I'm coming down to London! Don't be too excited!

Anyway, yeah... I can actually feel the sudden winter cold. Got up feeling chilly in my bed which hasn't happened since I got bk. ANNOYING..

8:32 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home