Wednesday, January 05, 2005

My first post of the New Year...

... and I feel like I ought to say something profound about what has happened in the past year and what might happen in the year to come.

But I don't want to say something just for the sake of saying it. A year's worth of memories cannot be summarised into one post so I'm not even going to bother.

I found myself, on the airplane on the way to England again, utterly sleep deprived after a night out on New Year's Eve drinking, dancing, and stuffing myself silly with local food at Newton. I had two hours of sleep between 6am and 8am, before getting up to do last minute packing, get to the airport and on the plane.

Between fighting bouts of nauseousness and concentrating on existential issues in I heart Huckabees , I found time to write in my book, the significant events of 2004... - in point form.
Was that the best I could manage? The weirdest, most unpredictable, eventful year of my life to date was mapped out in bullets. When I concluded December, the words stared back at me out of the page. And when I closed that chapter of my book, literally and figuratively, I don't know if it was relief or anticipation that greeted me. I could hardly believe 2004 was over and another year ushered in, amidst all that relentless activity.

....

The only New Year's Resolution I set for myself this year is: No more last minute essays.
I didn't even bother to make any others - those resolutions never work out.
But with my essays, I do need to do something about them; and it's not only my essays, really. I figure if I can get past leaving my essays to the last minute, that philosophy can be extended to the other aspects of my life too.
Living it largely by last-minute dirt attempts to manage everything is enough to suffice, but either my luck will run out someday, or I will realise that there's a certain injustice you do to yourself when you don't give your efforts its due.
So I think I've realised the latter. And I'm gonna try.

I bought an organiser yesterday, on it now writes:
I used to be disorganized .
I am rather proud of it.

Busy start to a new year, but I could not ask for otherwise.

I read this quote in my organiser today and it made me think:

Going to church no more makes you a Christian than sleeping in your garage makes you a car.

Garrison Keillor, American Broadcaster.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home