Friday, March 04, 2005

Moulin Rouge

I watched this film again on the big screen for the first time in many years today.

It was such a treat.

Halfway through the film, I caught myself thinking, actually, there are some parts of it that are quite shit - either the cheesy love lines or the songs...

But then, it came to the tango sequence. And oh. my. gosh.... I fell headlong straight back into my love affair with the film. How amazingly brilliant is that sequence, how intelligently choreographed and how much it reaches into the depths of your music soul when the double bass goes da-da dum and it's echoed by the high strings a second later. The stunning dancing, juxtaposed with the tower shots, the brilliant editing and of course, Ewan McGregor. sigh.

The rest of the film falls in place in relation to that. Even when Satine dies, it's tastefully done - when it could so fall apart in the hands of another.

At times like these, love on film really isn't so bad.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home